For many years we have been mentioning to visitors that Ellwood was used by the Confederate Army as a convalescence hospital after the Battle of Chancellorsville in May 1863. Thanks to the tireless efforts of three of our members, extensive research was conducted to find documentation on at least one of the patients treated at Ellwood and what the hospital environment most likely looked like.
The next step was to work with the Park to design a hospital room display, procure items for the room and produce interpretive panels. This was accomplished during 2020 and the room is now ready to be viewed by the public once we are allowed to once again conduct tours inside the manor house!
Click HERE to see photos of the display.
Click HERE to read an article providing details of the ‘Ellwood Hospital’.