Applications are now being accepted for Friends of Wilderness Battlefield (FoWB) volunteer staff positions at Ellwood Manor for the 2016 Season. The FoWB volunteers form a dynamic team of dedicated individuals who share multiple common interests.
At Ellwood Manor, located on the Wilderness Battlefield, volunteers may choose to become a “Historic House Guide (HHG)” serving in the house and optionally on the grounds; as a member of the “FoWB Ground Force at Ellwood (GFE),” maintaining the glory of the landscape; or as a hospitality agent assisting guests with information when visiting the property.
As a VOLUNTEER you can expect the following:
- Volunteers receive extensive training by the National Park Service (NPS) and FoWB and continued support throughout the season.
- Seasonal Volunteers (HHG and GFE) are to become members of FoWB.
- Training for HHG: New candidates: 2 full days (see training schedule below) Returning Veterans: 1 full day
- Training for Ground Force at Ellwood: New and Returning Veterans: 1 half Day
- Seasonal Time Commitment:
- Ellwood Hours of Operation 2016: Open weekends in the spring and fall. Daily in the summer. Hours are 10 am – 5 pm.
- HHG: are expected to schedule a minimum of 2 full days or 4 half days per month during the months of May through August when the house is open 7 days a week. During the periods of April, September and October the requirement is 1 full day or 2 half days.
- The Ground Force at Ellwood typically works one half day per week (Thursdays) during the “grass cutting season.” We also work periodically in the fall/winter months on special projects.
- Special tours and educational opportunities
- One shirt per season with FoWB logo (HHG/GFE) and a personalized NPS name pin (HHG).
- All FoWB Membership benefits plus 15% discount at Chancellorsville Visitors Center Gift shop.
Training Dates and Details:
Historical House Guides
Location: Wilderness Library
6421 Flat Run Rd.
Locust Grove, VA 22508
Time: 9 am – 5 pm
Lunch and Beverages will be provided. Casual Dress
- Saturday, Feb. 27 – New volunteers
- Thursday, March 10 and Saturday, March 19 – New volunteers and Veterans: choose one day
Ground Force at Ellwood – Location: Ellwood Manor
- Stop by Ellwood any Thursday morning around 9 A.M.
- Safety traing will be scheduled in the spring.
- Coffee, water and donuts provided
How to apply:
- Bob Lookabill, Ellwood Committee Chair at Ellwood@fowb.org or 540-903-8630 (Historic House Guides)
- Mark Wakeman, Battlefield Resources Chair at email@example.com or 540-760-5948 (Ground Force at Ellwood & Battlefield Projects)
Applications should be received prior to the training sessions.
Ellwood Manor is a circa 1790 house within Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania National Military Park. The cemetery contains the grave of Confederate General “Stonewall” Jackson’s amputated arm from the Battle of Chancellorsville, and the house was a Federal headquarters during the Battle of the Wilderness. Friends of Wilderness Battlefield is pleased to steward the property in partnership with the National Park Service (NPS).