During the normal hours of operation, Ellwood Manor is staffed by volunteers serving as docents for Friends of Wilderness Battlefield and the National Park Service.
These thoroughly prepared Interpreters stand ready to share information about
the history and architecture of the house
- plantation life and farming
the Civil War significance
Arriving on the Ellwood Manor grounds, the visitor will see the house as it appeared in May of 1864, including the dove-colored exterior paint, cedar-shake- shingled roof, original windows and a replica Fifth Corp headquarters flag posted at the front door.
The entire first floor has been restored to its 1864 appearance. The Entry Hall and the Parlor immediately to the left have been restored to depict Union Gen. Gouveneur K. Warren’s occupation of the house as his headquarters May 5 and 6, 1864.
In May of 2010, FoWB and the National Park Service unveiled professionally designed and fabricated exhibits located in the The Ellwood Room and The Wilderness Room.
The Wilderness Room display panels provide an in-depth description of the Battle of the Wilderness. Featured are a state-of-the-art map showing the progression of the two-day battle and an interactive station that invites visitors to try their hand at determining the outcome of various battle scenarios.
A new exhibit added in 2020 provides a glimpse into the use of Ellwood as a Confederate Convalescence hospital after the Battle of Chancellorsville in 1863. FoWB volunteers performed extensive research on how patients would have been cared for and worked in partnership with the NPS to procure and stage the exhibit. More Info